Monday, March 21, 2011

Today is the first day of the rest of my healthy life...

Today is the start of my healthy living... This blog is for me to track and keep record of my struggle with my weight and my recent decision to get to a healthier me. I plan on being 100% honest with myself and anyone who reads this blog. It won't work any other way.

I have been struggling with my weight for the past 10 years or so. Mostly trying this diet and that diet and having great results at first. Then slowly sliding back into my routine of bad eating habits and laziness. I joined at least three gyms over the course of the past 10 years, only to waste the money on the monthly payments because I just stopped going. I relied on others to motivate me, when I should have been motivating myself.

This time I am not following a diet. This time I am making an overall change to my eating habits and my lazy life style.

I recently went to the doctor, because my husband and I are having trouble conceiving. My doctor showed me the file he has of all my records. When I first came to him as a teenager, I weight maybe 100lbs. He showed me how each year my weight increased a little bit; some years a lot. He told me there is no "right" weight for anyone... you just have to be healthy and in shape. It's not an exact science.

He told me that my weight gain could have a lot to do with my irregular cycle and therefore the fact that I am having trouble with conception.

He also put me on some hormone medication and had me get an exam to ensure everything was working right. This exam is supposed to make women twice as fertile within the following 60 days. I was also told by several people that women got pregnant pretty quickly afterward. Paired with the medication he prescribed I assumed I would be pregnant before I knew it... I was sadly mistaken...

I am 5'3" and when I was 18 I weighted about 110 pounds. Granted my metabolism was much better then and I was a lot more active physically. But now at 31 I find myself at the heaviest I have been in my whole life and that makes me very sad and disappointed with myself. I am in no way obese, but I am over-weight & unhappy. I currently (as of yesterday) weight 168 pounds. This means I have gained about 10 pounds since my previously described doctors visit a couple months ago.

So now that you know a little of the back story... I plan to change my life style and my eating habits. I am paying more attention to what I eat and trying to stay away from the items that are really really bad for me (i.e. fatty, sugary & greasy). I am also trying to start to do something physical everyday. Walking or riding my bike or jogging to start.

This starts today.... I welcome you to follow my journey.

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. Horray! Good luck! This is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete