Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Making Dinner

I'd like to say I'm a good cook (toot toot). My husband likes to say he taught me everything I know... well that's somewhat true; except for my baking skills.

My husband introduced me to a lot of different foods. When we first met I was a picky eater. Mostly due to the fact that my mom was a creature of habit when it came to cooking. She rarely ventured outside of her own comfort zone. This made me behave the same way. I was fearful of trying new things and I was SO ignorant when it came to food.

I was guilty of judging a book by it's cover... If it looked gross or sounded gross, I would never even consider trying it. But after dating my husband and his families love of all kinds of food... I learned to be a lot more open minded. I tried and fell in love with several foods I would have never tried if it weren't for him.

With those new flavors came the broadening of my cooking skills.... So I guess, the improvement of my skills are thanks to my husband...

My new habits will consist of cutting out the "bad" butters and oils and replacing them with a healthier version of themselves; Smart Butter and/or Olive Oil. I mostly cook with Olive Oil now anyway... so it will just be an adjustment to STOP frying things and to try to use less of the bad and more of the not so bad.

Tonight for dinner I am going to make Lemon Pepper Chicken with brown rice and sauted veggies... I hope it comes out as delicious as I am imagining it.

Here is the recipe I will be using for the chicken... I will share my honest opinion after I try it tonight.

Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, divided
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
* 4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a small skillet. Pepper the skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of the pepper, then lay the chicken breasts onto the pepper. Squeeze fresh ½ of the lemon juice onto the chicken, then season with the remaining pepper.
2. Sauté chicken breasts for about 5 to 7 minutes, then turn to the other side, squeeze remaining lemon juice onto the other side and sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear).

No comments:

Post a Comment